Carlos was the 48th President of Costa Rica, having served from May 2018 to May 2022. One thing that highlights his success is that he assumed the most powerful office on the land when he was just 38. That's a low age for a president to be honest, but it seems Carlos' fate had been sealed before he was born. After completing his presidential term, he became a professor of diplomacy at Tufts University, among other positions. His keynote speeches revolve around such themes as leadership, climate change, and human rights.
Why you should book Carlos Alvarado Quesada for your next event
- Carlos Alvarado was the 48th president of Costa Rica. There could be no better way to describe his profile as a speaker.
- As a leader occupying the highest seat in Costa Rica, Carlos has worked with all types of people at various levels of leadership. The fact that he has seen it all makes him an experienced speaker with the right content.
- He is well-educated and a good communicator. A testament to this is his bachelor’s degree in journalism and two master’s in development studies and political science.
Carlos has been at the forefront when it comes to advocating for ocean protection. His commitment to the same earned him the Planetary Leadership Award in 2022. This award is exclusively for honouring world leaders who are outstanding in establishing protected areas like marine reserves, wilderness, and national parks. On behalf of Costa Rica, Carlos was also awarded the Champion of the Earth, the UN’s highest environmental honour, in 2019.
During Carlos’ tenure as president, Costa Rica’s contribution to fighting global climate change became noticeable. He also pushed for multilateralism, democracy, and human rights with passion. During the Covid- 19 pandemic, for instance, he was part of the C-TAP initiative that facilitated the distribution of health products to numerous nations.
Before he became president, Carlos served his country in various capacities, including:
- Minister for Labor & Social Security
- Minister of Human Development & Social Inclusion
Carlos Alvarado was born in 1980 in San Jose and went to the University of Costa Rica to study journalism. He earned a bachelor’s degree before later proceeding to obtain a master’s in political science. He also holds a master’s degree in development studies from the famed Sussex University.
See keynotes with Carlos Alvarado Quesada